Sunday 5 June 2011

Well That Was a Disaster!

It seems that I cannot fillet a fish nor do I have a suitable knife. My knife was far too blunt (schoolboy error) which means I have ended up with a hacked up mess of fish, which is still full of bones. Well I guess the best way to improve is to practise so I will keep at it and just eat my way round the bones for now. Breakfast tomorrow will be scrambled duck eggs and carefully eaten grilled mackerel :D

A quick note on duck eggs. My butcher recommended free range duck eggs to me as an alternative to chicken eggs and I must say I was impressed. They are larger with proportionately bigger yolks than chicken eggs so 2 makes for a generous serving. As a result of the larger yolk they have a richer taste, which I prefer, and are also chock full of nutrients!

I plan on eating a couple of eggs most days during the challenge. A lot of people think that eggs yolks are high in cholesterol and therefore bad for you. Well, they do have dietary cholesterol in them but that's actually fine. In fact it may even be a good thing!

Whenever you're considering a food don't just assume that the common belief is actually correct. 'Everyone knows' and 'they say that' are not the same as actual fact. Think outside the box and explore the issue for yourself.

As a bit more food for thought did you know that the Vitamin D obtained from unprotected sun exposure may reduce the risk of fatal prostate cancer? Maybe sun screen 24/7 is actually bad for you?

And for next time I attempt mackerel....Sharpening Steel ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment